IAQ = Indoor Air Quality.
IAQ is important because most people spend around 90% of their time indoors. If they’re breathing poor quality air, they could be facing a higher risk level for a variety of health problems, including headaches, dizziness, and more serious long-term conditions.
What is FloorScore® IAQ Certification?
When it comes to indoor air quality, a primary concern is the emission level of specific volatile organic compounds (VOCs). FloorScore® IAQ Certification means that a flooring product is independently certified by SCS to comply with the volatile organic compound emissions criteria of the California Section 01350 Program. Urban Surfaces’ flooring materials bear the FloorScore® seal. This seal tells you that the products have been independently certified by SCS to comply with the volatile organic compound emissions criteria of the California Section 01350 Program ( California Standard Method for the Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical Emissions from Indoor Sources Using Environmental Chambers, Version 1.2 ). Any product that has met these stringent standards is a product that will contribute to good indoor air quality. The FloorScore® certification means healthier, cleaner air.
Indoor air quality (IAQ) in a building depends on many factors, including:
- How well the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system and filters are maintained,
- How well and how often the rooms are cleaned,
- The people, activities and furnishings in the building,
- The outdoor environment, and
- Surfaces and finishes throughout.
Can IAQ be improved?
- Improve your HVAC system design and maintenance
- Ensure adequate ventilation with clean air
- Improve air filtering
- Schedule maintenance or remodeling for minimum impact
- Control the sources of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)